This episode’s guest, Craig Haworth, is a youth sports coach who has a website that teaches other youth coaches to become better at what they do. He is also the host of the podcast “Winning Youth Coaching”.
Topics discussed on this episode include:
- How coaches can positively (or negatively) impact their players off the field
- What responsibilities youth coaches have to their players
- The qualities winning youth coaches most often possess
- At what age winning should become a goal for coaches
- Best practices of youth coaching
- Keeping kids motivated even when they aren’t performing well or the team isn’t winning
- Effectively managing playing time for kids while maintaining a competitive environment
- Is there a point when parents can become too meddlesome?
- When kids don’t have a desire to play but are forced into playing by their parents
- Whether it’s better for younger kids to play with different teammates and make new friends or play on the same teams with their friends, classmates or neighbors
- The universal traits of a successful coach that can be applied to any sport?
- The importance of youth coaches to seek out continuous learning
Other links and resources mentioned:
Today’s Sponsor: BlueHost